Stoke City confirmed a huge blow on Sunday with leading forward Tyrese Campbell having picked up a serious knee injury which would rule him out for the rest of the campaign.
His absence will definitely be felt, considering he has been a huge influence in the final third of the pitch and has contributed towards 54 percent of the club’s goals (six goals and seven assists from 16 league appearances).
Hence, they are bound to require a replacement next month to spur their promotion pursuit and we look into three potential targets for them during the January transfer window.
Andre Gray – Watford:
Gray has vast Premier League experience, but he has struggled to break into the Watford setup this term. He has managed just six appearances to date, scoring the solitary goal.
The 29-year-old has not got the chance to impress since the Hornets’ relegation to the second tier and may be up for a fresh challenge next month. With Stoke’s limited budget, a loan deal could be an option, but the Hornets may be reluctant to strengthen a promotion rival.
Billy Sharp – Sheffield United:
Sharp, 34, has struggled for regular playing time with the Blades this term and the recent 3-0 defeat to Southampton was the first time that he was handed Premier League action since mid-October.
With the Blades rooted to the bottom of the table, they are bound to pursue another striker and that could pave the way for Sharp’s exit. The 34-year-old is strong in the air and has a good record in the Championship. He bagged 23 goals during the club’s promotion campaign in 2018/19.
Charlie Austin – West Bromwich Albion:
Austin has had a tough time since the Baggies’ promotion back to the top-flight and it has been unsurprising that he has already been linked with a return to the Championship.
The 31-year-old’s contract expires in less than seven months and the Baggies may only prefer a cut-price deal in January. Austin has fared well in the Championship with 10 or more goals in each of his previous five seasons in the division.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Three Championship stars destined for the Premier League
- Preview: Ipswich Town vs Leicester City – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Preview: Leicester City vs Watford – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Neil Warnock departs Huddersfield Town after draw with Stoke City
- Preview: Southampton vs Leicester City – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Preview: West Bromwich Albion vs Middlesbrough – prediction, team news, line ups
- Championship pre-season fixtures to catch in July
- Which of the three promoted teams will survive in the Premier League next season?
- Sheffield Wednesday pull off one of the greatest comebacks in EFL history
- Preview: Burnley vs Sheffield United – prediction, team news, line-ups