Neil Warnock has left Huddersfield Town as manager after his side played out a 2-2 draw with Stoke City.
The English boss had announced earlier this week that he would be stepping down from the managerial post after Wednesday’s home match.
The 74-year-old’s final game saw the Terriers taking a lead through Matty Pearson, but Daniel Johnson immediately restored parity with a close-range finish.
A brilliant header from Ben Wilmot at the hour mark put his side on course for victory, but Jack Rudoni managed to rescue a point with a superb finish in the 68th-minute.
Warnock announced his retirement from football last year but returned to management in February to save Huddersfield from relegation.
The experienced head coach made a huge impact as he led the Championship outfit to a series of excellent results, sealing an 18th-place finish.
He was expected to leave at the end of the campaign but reversed his decision to pen a one-year deal.
Huddersfield made a mixed start to the 2023-24 season as they picked up eight points from their first seven games.
However, they were on a two-match winning streak when the club’s chief executive Jake Edwards said they planned to “make a longer-term managerial appointment”.
In his press conference, Warnock said that his departure is not due to health reasons and also he is not retiring.
The 74-year-old has the distinction of managing sixteen different clubs from the Premier League to non-league. He also holds the record for most promotions in English football.
- Preview: Leicester City vs Watford – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Neil Warnock departs Huddersfield Town after draw with Stoke City
- Preview: Southampton vs Leicester City – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Preview: West Bromwich Albion vs Middlesbrough – prediction, team news, line ups
- Championship pre-season fixtures to catch in July
- Which of the three promoted teams will survive in the Premier League next season?
- Sheffield Wednesday pull off one of the greatest comebacks in EFL history
- Preview: Burnley vs Sheffield United – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Wigan Athletic confirm delay in wage payments after liquidity issues
- FA Cup fifth-round draw: Bristol host Man City, Sheffield United meet Tottenham