Charlton Athletic have received a boost ahead of their season restart with striker Lyle Taylor due to link up with the first-team squad for normal training.
Earlier this month, the 30-year-old was the subject of heavy criticism from the Addicks supporters after he confirmed that he would walk away from the club when his contract expires on June 30.
A potential injury which could deny him a life-changing move was mentioned as the main reason, but it appears that he has now made a U-turn on the decision.
The Sun’s Alan Nixon recently confirmed that the 30-year-old has agreed to return to training in order to help the Addicks in the survival bid over the next five weeks.
When asked for a further update from a fan on Twitter, the reputed journalist revealed that Taylor could resume regular training with his teammates from Monday.
The availability of Taylor is definitely a huge boost for the capital outfit. The club have stayed clear of the relegation places in the Championship for most of the season and they only dropped into the bottom three during the final matchday before the lockdown due to the coronavirus outbreak in March.
They are presently a couple of points adrift of 21st-placed Hull City and can instantly jump out of the drop zone with a victory, given they are scheduled to face the Yorkshire outfit on the road in their opening game of the season restart.
The relegation tussle will be exciting to watch, considering only three points separate the Addicks from 17th-placed Stoke City. Taylor, who has bagged 11 goals from 22 league outings, should lead the line at the KCOM stadium next weekend so long as he passes the fitness test.
The centre-forward won’t be able to keep the Addicks in the division by his own and will need contributions from other forwards. Macauley Bonne, who netted eight goals prior to his hamstring injury this year, could have a key role to play for Lee Bowyer’s side.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Three Championship stars destined for the Premier League
- Preview: Ipswich Town vs Leicester City – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Preview: Leicester City vs Watford – Prediction, Team News, Line-ups
- Neil Warnock departs Huddersfield Town after draw with Stoke City
- Preview: Southampton vs Leicester City – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Preview: West Bromwich Albion vs Middlesbrough – prediction, team news, line ups
- Championship pre-season fixtures to catch in July
- Which of the three promoted teams will survive in the Premier League next season?
- Sheffield Wednesday pull off one of the greatest comebacks in EFL history
- Preview: Burnley vs Sheffield United – prediction, team news, line-ups