The Championship said goodbye to Peterborough United, Derby County and Barnsley at the end of the 2021-22 season as they were all relegated to the third tier. Meanwhile, Fulham, Bournemouth and Nottingham Forest also left the Championship to play in the Premier League.
Now Burnley, Sheffield United, Watford and Blackburn Rovers are in the promotion race for the 2022-23 campaign. The Clarets made a slow start to the season but then put together an excellent run of form to be at the top of the table. Former Manchester City great Vincent Kompany has done an amazing job at Turf Moor so far.
Sheffield United endured a disappointing run in October when they lost three matches but they have since recovered and are now only three points behind Burnley. Meanwhile, both Blackburn Rovers and Watford have been very inconsistent this season but they are in the promotion race too.
However, all the Championship games have stopped at the moment due to the World Cup in Qatar. 26 players have been picked for the 2022 World Cup squads, which is equal to an entire squad.
Riley McGree, Harry Souttar and Bailey Wright will be representing Australia who will face France, Tunisia and Denmark in Group D.
Swansea City’s Olivier Ntcham and Reading’s Junior Hoilett will be in action for Cameroon and Canada respectively, while Ghana have picked Baba Rahman and Antoine Semenyo in their squad.
However, Wales will have the most representation from the Championship with Adam Davies, Ben Cabango, Tom Lockyer, Connor Roberts, Sorba Thomas, Joe Allen, Rubin Colwill and Mark Harris all confirmed in the squad.
Meanwhile, Jewison Bennette, Ilias Chair, Anass Zaroury, Krystian Bielik, Seny Dieng, Mamadou Loum, Iliman Ndiaye, Ismaila Sarr, Hannibal Mejbri, Ethan Horvath and Josh Sargent will all be representing their nations at the 2022 World Cup as well.
- Sheffield United vs Stoke City Preview – Prediction, how to watch & potential line-ups
- Millwall win race for Shamrock Rovers forward Aidomo Emakhu
- English Championship Players at the 2022 World Cup
- Blackburn Rovers vs Sunderland Preview – Prediction, how to watch & potential line-ups
- Reading vs Sunderland Preview – Prediction, how to watch & potential line-ups
- Mikel Arteta infuriates Arsenal fans with his US Tour squad
- Championship 2022/23 fixtures & key dates
- Huddersfield Town vs Nottingham Forest Preview – Prediction, team news, line-ups
- EFL Championship play-offs: Will Nottingham Forest reach Premier League for the first time in 21st century?
- Can Middlesbrough or Blackburn make the playoffs?