The EFL have confirmed that Wigan Athletic will face a 12-point deduction for entering administration shortly after their final game of the season against Fulham on Wednesday.
The Latics entered administration at the beginning of the month when they had 50 points on the board, and they have since picked up eight points from their next five matches.
With the points sanction, the club are currently two points behind safety and they face a must-win situation against Fulham on Wednesday in order to beat the drop.
Still, that may not be sufficient, suppose both Charlton Athletic and Luton Town (on 48 points) above them, end up on the winning side in the final matchday of the campaign.
In the worse case scenario, Wigan are likely to drop into the relegation zone after Wednesday’s game, but the EFL have confirmed that the club would have the right to appeal.
With the short turnaround period between the current season and the next which could start by mid-September, it appears that Wigan could still be reprieved from relegation.
As per The Mail, the verdict for an appeal could take much longer than the gap between the seasons and Wigan could stay in the Championship next term with a -12 points total, suppose they are unable to win their case.
Meanwhile, Sheffield Wednesday are also in danger of being docked points after severe breaches of the EFL’s profit and sustainability rules over the past year.
The club are currently just two points behind the Latics and they could face a 23-point deduction which would drop them right at the bottom of the standings.
Similarly to Wigan, the south Yorkshire outfit would be permitted to appeal any points sanction and that could be unfortunate for the clubs, who are currently in the bottom three and fighting for survival.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- English Championship Players at the 2022 World Cup
- Blackburn Rovers vs Sunderland Preview – Prediction, how to watch & potential line-ups
- Reading vs Sunderland Preview – Prediction, how to watch & potential line-ups
- Mikel Arteta infuriates Arsenal fans with his US Tour squad
- Championship 2022/23 fixtures & key dates
- Huddersfield Town vs Nottingham Forest Preview – Prediction, team news, line-ups
- EFL Championship play-offs: Will Nottingham Forest reach Premier League for the first time in 21st century?
- Can Middlesbrough or Blackburn make the playoffs?
- Championship Play-off contenders and predictions
- 3 Talking Points from Championship Matchday 33