Rebranded in 2004 as a replacement for the First Division in English football, the Championship is one of the most competitive competitions in the world.
Many of its clubs have previously played in the Premier League, meaning it is often graced by some very talented players.
That point is particularly pertinent where forwards are concerned, with the current top 10 list of goalscorers in the Championship featuring some of the most recognisable names in the game.
As of June 2020, seven of the top 10 are still playing, opening up the prospect of more movement on the list over the next few seasons.
Many players on the fringes the top 10 are either retired or playing elsewhere, leaving the likes of Lukas Jutkiewicz (Birmingham City) and Tom Ince (Stoke City) as most likely to climb up the rankings.
Troy Deeney, who is currently 17th with 77 goals, could also come into contention for a top 10 place if Watford fail to preserve their Premier League status this term.
Read on as we reveal who are the current all-time top 10 goalscorers in the Championship.
All-Time Championship Top 10 Scorers
- David Nugent: 121 goals in 412 appearances*
- Ross McCormack: 120 goals in 333 appearances
- Billy Sharp: 114 goals in 322 appearances*
- Jordan Rhodes: 108 goals in 286 appearances*
- Daryl Murphy: 93 goals in 329 appearances*
- Chris Martin: 93 goals in 343 appearances*
- Lewis Grabban: 91 goals in 215 appearances*
- Darius Henderson: 87 goals in 270 appearances
- Dexter Blackstock: 84 goals in 342 appearances
- Danny Graham: 82 goals in 257 appearances*
All-Time Championship Top Scorers – Top 3 Profiles
DAVID NUGENT – (Bury, Preston North End, Portsmouth, Burnley, Leicester City, Middlesbrough, Derby County)
The 35-year-old began his senior career with Bury back in 2002, before moving to Preston North End in January 2005.
Nugent has represented five other clubs since then, twice winning promotion from the Championship with Leicester City and Middlesbrough.
He also won the FA Cup with Portsmouth in 2008 and was capped once by England during the previous season.
Nugent returned to Preston at the start of the 2019/20 season, but has managed to score just once in in 21 appearances in the league.
ROSS McCORMACK – (Rangers, Doncaster Rovers, Motherwell, Cardiff City, Leeds United, Fulham, Aston Villa, Nottingham Forest, Melbourne City, Central Coast Mariners)
Given that he didn’t play as the main striker, McCormack’s tally of 120 goals in 333 appearances in the Championship is pretty impressive.
He finished as the division’s top scorer with 28 goals for Leeds United during the 2013/14 season, but has never been part of a promotion-winning team.
McCormack joined Aston Villa in 2016, but was ostracised by manager Steve Bruce after repeatedly failing to turn up for training.
The Scottish international was subsequently loaned out on numerous occasions, but has been without a club since the end of the 2019 campaign.
BILLY SHARP – (Sheffield United, Rushden & Diamonds, Scunthorpe United, Doncaster Rovers, Southampton, Nottingham Forest, Reading, Leeds United)
Sharp initially failed to establish himself at Sheffield United, but he has since gone on to achieve legendary status with his hometown club.
He was written off as a League One level striker during the early part of his career, before establishing himself as a prolific scorer in the second tier with Doncaster Rovers.
Sharp went on to help Southampton win promotion to the Premier League in 2012, but was loaned to three different clubs over the next three seasons.
He had a year with Leeds, before moving back to the Blades in 2015 where he has helped the club win promotion from both League One and the Championship.
- EFL play-offs: Brentford reached Wembely again, Lincoln and Blackpool to battle it out for Championship promotion
- Five Championship Players Targeted By Premier League teams this summer
- Wayne Rooney could recruit former Chelsea star to sort Derby County’s defensive concerns
- Football League play-off dates and predictions
- Premier League duo interested in West Bromwich Albion attacker Matheus Pereira
- 3 Premier League loanees who have impressed in the Championship this season
- Championship play-off ties confirmed after final matchday
- Swansea City to review matchday security protocols after fan is ejected during Wycombe Wanderers clash
- Barnsley line up first summer signing
- No Limits Sports Limited close to sealing Derby takeover