According to a report from the Scottish Sun, Celtic have opened talks to try and complete the signing of Preston North End defender Ben Davies by the end of this month.
The report claims that the Bhoys had been close to agreeing on pre-contract terms to bring the defender to Celtic Park in the summer.
But it would now appear that the Celts are going to try and bring the English defender to Scotland by the end of this month. While Preston are keen to keep Davies in Lancashire until the end of the season, they may sanction a departure this month if they can get a fee for the 25-year-old.
Celtic are short on defensive options with an injury to Frenchman Christopher Jullien seeing him on the sidelines, while right-back Jeremie Frimpong has recently departed Celtic Park heading to Bayer Leverkusen.
The injuries and departures mean that Celtic are in desperate need of some more defensive options and bringing Davies to the club before the end of this month would go along way to helping the Celts.
While Preston won’t want to lose Davies this month, the opportunity to get a fee and not lose the defender for nothing could be enough to see the Lilywhites sanction a sale.
Celtic are in desperate need of a defender and may be willing to pay more than what is normally spent on a defender with only six months left on their contract.
With only a few days left of the January transfer window, this is a deal that could happen, and Davies may be a Celtic player within the next couple of days.
- Nottingham Forest Left Arsenal Boss Mikel Arteta After Stunning FA Cup Win
- Official: Daryl Dike joins West Bromwich Albion
- Swansea appoint MK Dons manager Russell Martin
- Eustace out of Swansea manager running
- EFL play-offs: Brentford reached Wembely again, Lincoln and Blackpool to battle it out for Championship promotion
- Five Championship Players Targeted By Premier League teams this summer
- Wayne Rooney could recruit former Chelsea star to sort Derby County’s defensive concerns
- Football League play-off dates and predictions
- Premier League duo interested in West Bromwich Albion attacker Matheus Pereira
- 3 Premier League loanees who have impressed in the Championship this season