The South Wales bragging rights are again with Steve Coopers men after a double from Jamal Lowe seals all three points in the Welsh capital.
Swansea managed to bring back experienced centre half Ryan Bennett back into the starting lineup along with Marc Guehi.
Lowe volleyed in from close range after six minutes as the ball went under the arms of Alex Smithies. It was Lowe’s first goal since the 1-1 draw away at Bristol City in October.
Still in the first half Swansea captain Matt Grimes struck the post and probably should have doubled Swansea’s lead.
Into the second half and Cardiff midfielder Joe Ralls was sent off after receiving a second booking for a challenge on Korey Smith.
Lowe then scored his second goal of the game just to put the result beyond doubt with a superb second goal beating Cardiff defenders on his way to curling his effort past the post.
Defeat for Cardiff puts an end to their recent resurgence with 4 wins in a row put to an abrupt end by a much more dominant Swansea performance. Swansea have now kept 10 league clean sheets this season – a league best. This was something Swansea head coach Steve Cooper praised after the game as stopping Cardiff’s set piece threat was key to doing so.
“It’s hard to do, but today we did it very well. I am really pleased, to dominate a derby with the ball.
“We were also really competitive, we defended set-plays excellently, you have to do that against Cardiff, you have to compete in the air and win second balls.
“We respect that a lot and it was important that when we got the ball on the floor we played our stuff, and we did that.”
- Swansea appoint MK Dons manager Russell Martin
- Eustace out of Swansea manager running
- EFL play-offs: Brentford reached Wembely again, Lincoln and Blackpool to battle it out for Championship promotion
- Five Championship Players Targeted By Premier League teams this summer
- Wayne Rooney could recruit former Chelsea star to sort Derby County’s defensive concerns
- Football League play-off dates and predictions
- Premier League duo interested in West Bromwich Albion attacker Matheus Pereira
- 3 Premier League loanees who have impressed in the Championship this season
- Championship play-off ties confirmed after final matchday
- Swansea City to review matchday security protocols after fan is ejected during Wycombe Wanderers clash