Bolton had begun last season with a twelve-point reduction from which they never recovered. When the season was suspended and then abandoned due to the COVID-19 pandemic they had never risen above bottom place and were subsequently relegated to EFL League Two on 9 June with on the points per game system.
Much optimism was expected of Wanderers this season however, they started the season with two wins in the first ten games of the season and that left them lingering in 19th place in the table. Results did briefly improve with four wins from the next 5 but after another bad run Bolton were mid table by Christmas in a league they were predicted to walk.
Bolton’s massive summer activity in the transfer market meant that a whopping twenty-one players arrived with big names such as Eoin Doyle and Antoni Sarcevic. Doyle, has been a vital signing as he has chipped in with 15 goals this season
As with football we know that any kind of result is a possibility and there is still time for the unthinkable to happen. And in early February, with Bolton lingering around 19th, the objective was just to stay up and avoid relegation to non-league football and a mid-table finish would have been a massive achievement
Since a 2-1 defeat at Tranmere Rovers in late January, Bolton are unbeaten in 11 league games, winning nine of these contests. Form that has taken the club from 19th to sixth.
January signings Declan John and MJ Williams have fitted in well and starting to play with more confidence with key players now performing in the clubs dramatic and unexpected rise up the table.
Now only two points of the automatic places with ten games to go it is looking good for Ian Evatt’s men ahead of the run in. Bolton have a mix of games against teams near the bottom and teams also fighting for promotion so it will be tough for them but giving the run and the momentum they have it will be a very interesting end to the season.
Prediction: Bolton to win the Play-Offs
- Swansea appoint MK Dons manager Russell Martin
- Eustace out of Swansea manager running
- EFL play-offs: Brentford reached Wembely again, Lincoln and Blackpool to battle it out for Championship promotion
- Five Championship Players Targeted By Premier League teams this summer
- Wayne Rooney could recruit former Chelsea star to sort Derby County’s defensive concerns
- Football League play-off dates and predictions
- Premier League duo interested in West Bromwich Albion attacker Matheus Pereira
- 3 Premier League loanees who have impressed in the Championship this season
- Championship play-off ties confirmed after final matchday
- Swansea City to review matchday security protocols after fan is ejected during Wycombe Wanderers clash