Brentford closed the gap on the automatic promotion spots to five points following their 1-0 win over West Bromwich Albion in the Championship on Friday night.
The Bees were the only team from the top-six to have picked up three points on Matchday 38 and they continued their momentum with a comfortable 1-0 win over the Baggies.
Ollie Watkins made the difference with his 23rd goal of the league campaign. The 24-year-old tapped the ball into an unguarded net in the 19th minute after some fine bit of play from Said Benrahma in the lead-up.
Meanwhile, Slaven Bilic’s side were restricted to only two shots on target through the entire 90 minutes following a solid defensive display from the hosts. Bees centre-back Ethan Pinnock had one of his best games of the season.
The 27-year-old produced a dominant performance at the heart of the defence with two tackles, six interceptions, five clearances and also won 11 aerial duels in the process.
The victory has put the west London outfit within five points of both West Brom and Leeds United, who are currently occupying the automatic promotion places for the Premier League.
Leeds will be in action against Fulham at home on Saturday afternoon and it remains to be seen whether the Cottagers can get the better of Marcelo Bielsa’s side.
In that case, they would be within four points off the top two with seven games to play and could bring about an exciting end to the regular Championship season.
Meanwhile, a victory for Leeds could see them in the driving seat for top-flight promotion as they would have a three-point lead over the Baggies at the top and most importantly, eight points ahead of third-placed Brentford.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com and Whoscored.com
- Sheffield Wednesday pull off one of the greatest comebacks in EFL history
- Preview: Burnley vs Sheffield United – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Wigan Athletic confirm delay in wage payments after liquidity issues
- FA Cup fifth-round draw: Bristol host Man City, Sheffield United meet Tottenham
- Sheffield United vs Stoke City Preview – Prediction, how to watch & potential line-ups
- Millwall win race for Shamrock Rovers forward Aidomo Emakhu
- English Championship Players at the 2022 World Cup
- Blackburn Rovers vs Sunderland Preview – Prediction, how to watch & potential line-ups
- Reading vs Sunderland Preview – Prediction, how to watch & potential line-ups
- Mikel Arteta infuriates Arsenal fans with his US Tour squad