Birmingham City’s wretched run of form – one victory in 13 games and three consecutive defeats – has seen them slide to in the relegation spots in the Championship.
Another defeat against fellow strugglers Sheffield Wednesday – equal on points with City but ahead on goal difference and with a game in hand – would mire the club into a spot where relegation might become a likely possibility.
Wednesday have lost two of their last three but have collected nine points from their last five games (compared to two from five for City).
Although both teams are predicted to finish in the bottom three this season (alongside doomed Wycombe), FiveThirtyEight puts Birmingham’s relegation chances at 61% compared to 51% for Wednesday.
City manager Aitor Karanka has asked fans to back the team to help them get through a difficult period.
“I completely understand them,” Karanka said, in an interview with talkSPORT. “As a fan I can understand 100% because it’s difficult to watch your team in every game make individual mistakes.
“As a coach, when you’re responsible and you’re doing your best, you can’t do much more. They must keep believing.
“When you’re the coach and you come here every single week and the team is showing that they can compete against every single week, and that we are better than our opponent but we’re not winning games, as a coach it’s difficult to understand.”
“I can understand the fans, and why they are criticising me, but please try to help the players. They not being in the stadium has been a nightmare, because with them in the stadium we wouldn’t be in this situation.”
“The only way they can help the players is by social media. They can say what they want about me and criticise me – I am more than happy while they support the players.”
Unfortunately, fan support may not be enough for either team this season.
- Swansea appoint MK Dons manager Russell Martin
- Eustace out of Swansea manager running
- EFL play-offs: Brentford reached Wembely again, Lincoln and Blackpool to battle it out for Championship promotion
- Five Championship Players Targeted By Premier League teams this summer
- Wayne Rooney could recruit former Chelsea star to sort Derby County’s defensive concerns
- Football League play-off dates and predictions
- Premier League duo interested in West Bromwich Albion attacker Matheus Pereira
- 3 Premier League loanees who have impressed in the Championship this season
- Championship play-off ties confirmed after final matchday
- Swansea City to review matchday security protocols after fan is ejected during Wycombe Wanderers clash